The drain filter in your LG top load washer plays a crucial role in keeping your machine running smoothly and efficiently. It helps trap lint, debris, and other particles, preventing them from clogging the drain pump or damaging other components of your washing machine. If you’re wondering where this vital part of your washer is located and how to maintain it, you’ve come to the right place!
The drain filter on an LG top load washer is typically located at the lower backside of the washing machine. In some models, it may be found under the agitator. Always refer to your owner’s manual or the manufacturer’s website for specific instructions based on your washer’s model.
Location of the Drain Filter in an LG Top Load Washer
The drain filter on an LG top load washer is typically located at the lower backside of the washing machine. Some models, however, may have the filter under the agitator. Always consult your owner’s manual or the manufacturer’s website for specific instructions based on your washer’s model.
How to Access the Drain Filter
Here’s a step-by-step guide to access the drain filter:
- Turn off the washer and unplug it: Always ensure the washer is disconnected from the power source before proceeding.
- Locate the filter: If the filter is located at the bottom front, open the access panel by pulling the tab downward and out. If the filter is under the agitator, remove the agitator by taking off the cap and unscrewing the wing-nut screw inside the shaft. Then, lift the agitator off to access the filter.
- Remove the filter cover: Lift the filter cover out of position.
- Take out the filter: Pull the filter out of the washer. If it gets stuck, wiggle and move it around to loosen any lint or detergent that might cause it to stick.
Cleaning and Replacing the Drain Filter
Cleaning the drain filter on an LG top load washer is an essential maintenance task. Here are the tools you’ll need to clean or replace the filter:
- A shallow pan or container to collect water
- Needle-nose pliers or a similar grabbing tool
- A soft brush or toothbrush
- A mild detergent or washing machine cleaner
- A replacement drain filter, if necessary
You can find a detailed guide on how to clean the drain filter in these YouTube tutorials.
When to Clean or Replace the Drain Filter
Signs that the drain filter on your LG top load washer needs cleaning or replacing include excessive vibrations during the wash cycle, wet clothes after the final spin, problems with water draining, and a mildewy smell indicating standing water in the washer’s mechanisms.
You can find replacement parts from various sources, including LG’s official website, Amazon, LG Parts, Easy Appliance Parts, Home Depot, Repair Clinic, and PartSelect.
Precautions to Take
When handling the drain filter, always take the following precautions:
- Unplug the washing machine: Always unplug the washing machine before cleaning the filter to avoid any electrical hazards.
- Use gloves: Protect your hands from bacteria or dirt.
- Ensure the filter is dry: Make sure the filter is completely dry before plugging the washing machine back in.
- Use a tray or container: When removing the filter, place a tray or container underneath to catch any water that may spill out.
- Be gentle: Handle the filter gently to avoid damaging it or the washer components.
Regular maintenance, including cleaning the filter, is essential to maintain the efficiency of your LG top load washer and prevent any drainage issues. With this guide, you’re now well-equipped to locate, clean, and replace the drain filter on your LG top load washer. Happy washing!
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I clean the drain filter on my LG top load washer?
The frequency of cleaning the drain filter can vary depending on the usage of your washer. However, it is generally recommended to clean the filter every 2-3 months or as soon as you notice any signs of clogging or improper functioning.
What happens if I do not clean the drain filter regularly?
If the drain filter is not cleaned regularly, it can get clogged with lint and debris. This can cause your washer to vibrate excessively, leave clothes wet after the final spin, have problems draining water, or emit a mildewy smell.
Can I use any type of detergent to clean the drain filter?
It’s best to use a mild detergent or a specific washing machine cleaner to clean the drain filter. Avoid using harsh chemicals as they can damage the filter and other components of the washer.
What should I do if my LG top load washer still has issues after I’ve cleaned or replaced the drain filter?
If your washer is still having issues after you’ve cleaned or replaced the drain filter, it’s best to consult with a professional or contact LG’s customer service for further assistance. There could be other underlying issues causing the problem.
Can I use a replacement filter that’s not from LG for my LG top load washer?
While it’s possible to use a non-LG replacement filter, it’s always best to use parts designed specifically for your appliance to ensure the best fit and performance. Using non-LG parts may also void your warranty.