The kitchen is the heart of the home, and every appliance plays a vital role in making our lives easier and more convenient. One such essential appliance is the microwave. But, what if you’re dealing with a small kitchen or limited countertop space? The smallest depth microwave comes to the rescue.
The smallest depth microwave currently available in the market is the Whirlpool Mini Microwave, with a depth of just 13 3/4 inches. Despite its compact size, it offers an internal capacity of 0.5 cu. ft., making it ideal for small kitchens, dorm rooms, RVs, or any areas with limited countertop space. It comes packed with features like multiple power levels, cooking modes and presets, a child safety lock, and a kitchen timer, among others.
The Smallest Depth Microwave: An Overview
The smallest depth microwave currently available in the market is the Whirlpool Mini Microwave, which has a depth of just 13 3/4 inches. Despite its compact size, it has an internal capacity of 0.5 cu. ft., making it perfect for small kitchens, dorm rooms, RVs, or any limited countertop spaces.
The smallest depth microwave comes packed with features designed to offer convenience and efficiency. Here are some key features of the smallest depth microwave:
- Compact size: These microwaves are designed to fit into tight spaces without compromising on functionality.
- Internal capacity: Despite their compact size, they can accommodate a variety of dishes with capacities ranging from 0.5 to 0.9 cubic feet.
- Power levels: These microwaves offer multiple power levels to suit different cooking requirements.
- Cooking modes and presets: They come with various cooking modes and presets for common tasks like reheating, defrosting, and cooking specific types of food.
- Child safety lock: Some models come with a child safety lock to prevent accidental use by children.
- Kitchen timer and cooking complete alarms: These features help you keep track of cooking times and alert you when the cooking process is complete.
- Sound on/off feature: Some models offer a sound on/off feature that allows you to mute the microwave’s beeping sounds.
Brands Offering the Smallest Depth Microwaves
There are multiple brands in the market that manufacture the smallest depth microwaves, including:
- SMETA: Offers a 12-inch deep microwave oven with 0.7 cu. ft capacity and 700W power.
- Commercial Chef: Produces a small microwave with 900 watts of power.
- Toshiba: Known for its Smart Sensor Microwave, considered the best small microwave overall.
- BLACK+DECKER: Their Digital Microwave is known for its accuracy.
- COMFEE’: Offers a budget-friendly countertop microwave.
- Galanz: The GLCMKA07BER-07 is a small, retro-style microwave.
- LG, Panasonic, GE, Breville, Whirlpool, Insignia™, Sharp, and Farberware: These brands offer compact microwaves with varying features and power capacities.
Pros and Cons of Using a Small Depth Microwave
- Space-saving: They require minimal counter space, making them ideal for small kitchens or areas with limited countertop space.
- Efficient ventilation: Despite their smaller size, they can provide excellent ventilation, effectively removing steam, grease, and odor from the air while cooking.
- Bright lighting: They often include bright lights to illuminate your cooktop as you cook, enhancing visibility and convenience.
- Portability: They are easy to move and can be taken with you if you need to relocate.
- Affordability: They are generally more affordable than larger models or built-in options.
- Decent performance: They can still perform reasonably well in heating and defrosting evenness, and they are usually quiet.
- Compact cooking space: They have limited interior capacity, which may not accommodate certain tall bowls or pans that could fit in an average-sized microwave.
- Longer heating times: They may take longer to heat food compared to larger models.
- Uneven heating: In some cases, the small size may affect its ability to heat food evenly.
- Less energy-efficient: They may be less energy-efficient compared to larger models, as they may require longer heating times to achieve the same results.
Where to Buy the Smallest Depth Microwaves?
Numerous retailers offer the smallest depth microwaves, both online and in-store. Some popular options include Amazon, Best Buy, Home Depot, Wayfair, Target, Walmart, Lowe’s, AJ Madison, and eBay.
The price range for the smallest depth microwaves varies, but you can find models ranging from as low as $50 to up to $500, depending on the brand, features, and power. Remember to compare the features, prices, and customer reviews of different microwaves before making a purchase.
In conclusion, while choosing a microwave, consider factors such as size, suitability for your space, and desired features. The smallest depth microwave can be a great asset for those with limited space without compromising on the functionality and convenience of a standard microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average power wattage of the smallest depth microwaves?
The average power wattage of the smallest depth microwaves ranges from 700 to 900 watts. However, some models may offer lower or higher wattage levels.
Are smallest depth microwaves suitable for commercial use?
While smallest depth microwaves offer convenience and space-saving benefits, they might not be ideal for commercial use due to their smaller capacity and potentially longer heating times. Commercial kitchens often require larger, more powerful microwaves for efficient operation.
Can the smallest depth microwaves be installed as built-in units?
While some smallest depth microwaves may be designed to fit into custom cabinetry or spaces, not all models are suitable for built-in installation. It’s important to check the manufacturer’s guidelines before attempting to install a countertop microwave as a built-in unit.
How do I clean and maintain a smallest depth microwave?
You can clean a smallest depth microwave by wiping down the interior and exterior with a damp cloth and mild soap. For stubborn stains or food residue, a solution of vinegar and water can be used. Always unplug the microwave before cleaning and ensure it’s dry before plugging it back in. Regular cleaning and proper use can help maintain the microwave’s performance and longevity.
Are there any smallest depth microwaves with stainless steel interiors?
Yes, there are smallest depth microwaves with stainless steel interiors. These models are often more durable and easier to clean than those with plastic interiors. However, they may be priced slightly higher.