Cleaning your Sub Zero fridge’s exterior is an essential task that not only helps maintain its appearance but also ensures its optimal performance. However, it’s crucial to do it right to avoid damaging the finish. This comprehensive guide will provide you with all the information you need on how to clean your Sub Zero fridge exterior.
To clean the exterior of your Sub Zero fridge, you’ll need a lint-free or microfiber cloth, a non-abrasive stainless steel cleaner, and stainless steel polish. Apply the cleaner to the cloth and wipe in the direction of the grain. Rinse lightly with a water-dampened microfiber cloth, then polish with a dry chamois. Avoid using abrasive cleaners, applying cleaner directly to the appliance, or using steam cleaning. Regularly clean to maintain its appearance and performance.
Let’s start with the essential tools you will need:
- Lint-free or microfiber cloth
- Non-abrasive stainless steel cleaner
- Stainless steel polish
- Water-dampened microfiber cloth
- Dry polishing chamois
Follow these steps to clean your fridge’s exterior:
- Apply the cleaner to the cloth, not directly on the appliance’s surface, to prevent streaks.
- Always apply cleaner and polish in the same direction as the grain to avoid marring the finish.
- Wipe down the appliance, keeping the cloth and cleaner in contact with the appliance surface to avoid streaking.
- Lightly wipe the surface with a water-dampened microfiber cloth to bring out the natural luster.
- Finish by polishing the surface with a dry polishing chamois.
The recommended cleaning solution for the exterior of a Sub Zero fridge is a gentle liquid detergent such as Ivory, Dawn, Joy, or similar products. For stainless steel exteriors, use a stainless steel cleaner to remove stains and a polish to restore luster and shine.
While cleaning, consider these environmental conditions:
- Moisture: Ensure the area is dry before cleaning to eliminate the risk of mold.
- Dust and dirt: Regular cleaning is necessary to prevent bacteria and mold growth.
- Condenser coils: Some refrigerators have exposed condenser coils in the back that need regular cleaning to maintain efficiency. Use a soft brush or handheld vacuum attachment to remove dust buildup on the coils.
When cleaning the exterior of a Sub Zero fridge, take these safety precautions:
- Use a non-abrasive cleaner.
- Apply cleaner to the cloth, not directly on the fridge.
- Follow the grain of the stainless steel.
- Avoid wetting the lights or control panel.
- Turn off power to the fridge before cleaning.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
Avoid these common mistakes when cleaning your fridge’s exterior:
- Using abrasive cleaners or scouring pads.
- Applying cleaner directly to the appliance’s surface.
- Not following the grain of the stainless steel.
- Using steam cleaning.
- Cleaning interior components in a dishwasher.
- Neglecting the condenser coils.
By following this guide, you can maintain the shine and finish of your Sub-Zero fridge and keep it working like new. Remember to clean the exterior regularly to maintain its appearance and performance.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I clean the exterior of my Sub Zero fridge?
The cleaning frequency depends on usage and the environment. However, a general rule is to clean the exterior once a week to maintain its appearance and performance.
Can I use vinegar as a cleaning solution for my Sub Zero fridge exterior?
Yes, you can. Vinegar is a mild acid that can effectively clean stainless steel surfaces. Mix equal parts of vinegar and water, and use a microfiber cloth to clean the surface. However, always rinse the surface with water after using vinegar to prevent potential damage from the acid.
What should I do if I accidentally used an abrasive cleaner on my Sub Zero fridge?
If you accidentally used an abrasive cleaner, rinse the area thoroughly with water. Then, use a non-abrasive stainless steel cleaner and polish to restore the finish. If the scratch is deep, you may need professional help to restore the surface.
Why should I avoid using steam cleaners on my Sub Zero fridge?
Steam cleaners can cause damage to the electronic components of the fridge. The high temperature and moisture can cause short circuits and damage the control panel. Therefore, it’s best to avoid using steam cleaners.
Can I use the same cleaning process for the interior of the fridge?
No, the interior of the fridge requires a different cleaning process. Use a solution of warm water and baking soda to clean the interior. This solution effectively cleans and removes odors without damaging the interior surfaces.