When you notice your Whirlpool Cabrio Washer bouncing around more than usual, or the loads consistently ending up unbalanced, it might be time to replace the suspension rods. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through each step of the process, explaining in detail how to replace suspension rods on your Whirlpool Cabrio Washer.
To replace the suspension rods on a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer, first disconnect the power and water supply. Access the suspension rods by removing the top or back panel of the machine. Compress the suspension rod to release the plastic retainer clip and lift the rod out. Install new rods in the same positions as the old ones, then reassemble the washer. Regular maintenance tips include keeping the washer level, avoiding overloading, and regularly inspecting and cleaning the rods.
Signs That Indicate The Need For Replacement
Before you decide to replace the suspension rods, it’s important to identify the signs indicating that they are no longer functioning properly. Some of the key signs include:
- Excessive vibration during the spin cycle: If your washing machine bangs around more than usual during the spin cycle, it’s likely that the suspension rods are worn out and need to be replaced.
- Unbalanced loads: If the washer consistently ends up unbalanced, even after redistributing the load, it could be a sign that the rods are not functioning properly.
- Bouncing drum: To test the suspension rods, push down sharply on the agitator. If it bounces multiple times, the rods are likely not in good condition. Ideally, there should be a lot of resistance when pushing down, and the agitator should not bounce at all.
Tools And Materials Needed
To replace suspension rods on your Whirlpool Cabrio Washer, you will need the following tools:
- New suspension rods
- A quarter-inch nut driver
- A flat head screwdriver
- A narrow small flat head screwdriver
- A piece of duct tape
- A chain (for lifting the drum)
Removing The Old Suspension Rods
Here is the step-by-step process to safely remove the old suspension rods:
- Disconnect power and water supply: Unplug the washing machine from the electrical outlet or turn off the circuit breakers.
- Access the suspension rods: Depending on your washing machine model, you may need to remove the top panel or the back panel to access the suspension rods.
- Remove the suspension rods: Compress the suspension rod by pushing it down, release the plastic retainer clip that holds the rod in place, and then carefully lift the rod out of its socket.
Installing The New Suspension Rods
After removing the old rods, it’s time to install the new ones. Here are the steps:
- Unplug the appliance and turn off the water supplies: This ensures there’s no chance of electrocution.
- Move the washer away from the wall: To access the rear screws, you’ll need to move the washer away from the wall.
- Remove screws: Use a quarter-inch nut driver to unthread the two rear screws securing the main top.
- Tape the lid shut: This prevents the lid from opening during the process.
- Disconnect hoses: Disconnect the inlet fill hoses and the drain hose from the washer.
- Lay the washer on its back: This allows you to access the suspension rods.
- Remove old suspension rods: Release the old suspension rods and note their positions for reinstallation.
- Install new suspension rods: Install the new rods in the same positions as the old ones.
- Reassemble the washer: Reconnect the hoses, reattach the main top, and remove the tape.
After successfully replacing the suspension rods, it’s important to maintain them properly to prolong their life. Here are a few maintenance tips:
- Keep the washer level: This helps distribute the load evenly and reduces stress on the suspension rods.
- Avoid overloading: Overloading the washer can cause excessive stress on the rods.
- Regularly inspect the rods: Check for signs of wear or damage. If any are found, replace them as soon as possible.
- Keep the washer clean: Regularly clean the drum and exterior to prevent buildup of dirt and debris.
With the right tools and a bit of patience, you can easily replace the suspension rods on your Whirlpool Cabrio Washer. We hope this guide has been helpful and has made the process easier for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I buy new suspension rods for my Whirlpool Cabrio Washer?
You can purchase new suspension rods from a variety of sources. These include your local appliance parts store, online retailers such as Amazon or eBay, or directly from the Whirlpool website.
How many suspension rods are there in a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer?
Typically, a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer has four suspension rods – one for each corner of the washing machine tub.
How long does it take to replace the suspension rods on a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer?
The time it takes to replace suspension rods can vary depending on your level of experience. However, for most people, it should take around one to two hours.
Do I need to hire a professional to replace the suspension rods on my Whirlpool Cabrio Washer?
Not necessarily. Replacing the suspension rods on a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer is a task that many people can handle themselves with the right tools and a bit of patience. However, if you’re not comfortable working on your washing machine, it’s always a good idea to hire a professional.
What should I do if my new suspension rods don’t seem to fit properly?
If the new suspension rods don’t seem to fit, double-check that you’ve ordered the correct parts for your specific Whirlpool Cabrio Washer model. If the parts are correct but still don’t fit, it’s best to consult a professional for help.