Whether you’re a first-time owner of a Whirlpool washing machine or you’ve had one for years, knowing where to put detergent is crucial for getting the cleanest clothes. This comprehensive guide will walk you through everything you need to know about where to put detergent in your Whirlpool washing machine.
In a Whirlpool washing machine, the location to put detergent depends on the model. For front-load washers and top-load models with a dispenser, add detergent to the left compartment of the dispenser drawer. If you have a top-load model without a dispenser, add detergent directly to the bottom of the washer basket. For models with a Load & Go™ Dispenser, fill the dispenser with High Efficiency (HE) liquid detergent, and the machine will automatically dispense the correct amount for each load.
Understanding Your Whirlpool Washing Machine
Whirlpool washing machines come in a variety of models, each with its unique features. Some have a dispenser drawer for detergent, while others require you to add detergent directly to the drum. The specific location for adding detergent depends on whether your machine is a top-load or front-load model and whether it has a dispenser drawer or a Load & Go™ Dispenser.
Adding Detergent to Front-Load Washers and Top-Load Washers with a Dispenser
For front-load Whirlpool washing machines and top-load models with a dispenser, you’ll add detergent to the dispenser compartments. Here’s how:
- Identify the detergent compartment. It’s typically on the left side of the dispenser drawer.
- If you’re using powder detergent, lift the selector to the high position.
- If you’re using liquid detergent, push the selector down to the low position.
- Measure the detergent following the manufacturer’s instructions based on your load size and add it to the compartment.
Adding Detergent to Top-Load Washers without a Dispenser
For top-load Whirlpool washing machines without a dispenser, the process is slightly different. Here’s what to do:
- Measure the liquid detergent as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add it directly to the bottom of the washer basket before loading your clothes.
Using the Load & Go™ Dispenser
If your washing machine has a Load & Go™ Dispenser, you have the added convenience of not needing to add detergent with each load. This dispenser holds enough detergent for multiple loads—approximately 14 for a top-load washer. Here’s how to use it:
- Fill the Load & Go™ Dispenser with High Efficiency (HE) liquid detergent.
- The machine will automatically dispense the correct amount of detergent for each load.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
When adding detergent to your Whirlpool washing machine, it’s important to avoid these common mistakes:
- Overfilling the dispenser: Using too much detergent can cause errors on the machine and may result in soap not being fully washed out of the clothes, requiring an extra rinse cycle.
- Not using HE detergent: Whirlpool washing machines are designed to work with HE detergents, which produce fewer suds and are more efficient in low water levels.
- Using old or improperly stored detergent: Older detergents, especially powdered ones, may not dissolve well, leading to less effective cleaning.
By understanding where to put the detergent in your Whirlpool washing machine, you can make sure your clothes come out clean every time. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for measuring detergent and adjusting settings on your machine to get the best results.
Keeping Your Whirlpool Washing Machine Clean
Regular cleaning of your washing machine can enhance its performance and longevity. Empty the machine, clean the exterior and the door gasket, clean the detergent dispenser, and run a cleaning cycle with a washing machine cleaner or liquid chlorine bleach.
By following these tips and understanding the specifics of your Whirlpool washing machine, you can ensure effective and efficient laundry cycles. Remember, the key to a successful laundry routine is understanding your machine and using the correct amount and placement of detergent.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use fabric softener with my Whirlpool washing machine?
Yes, you can use fabric softener with your Whirlpool washing machine. If your machine has a dispenser drawer, it typically has a designated compartment for fabric softener. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use.
What does the “HE” in HE detergent stand for?
“HE” stands for High Efficiency. HE detergents are formulated to produce fewer suds and are more efficient in low water levels, which is why they are recommended for use in Whirlpool washing machines.
Is it okay to mix different types of detergents in my Whirlpool washing machine?
It’s generally not recommended to mix different types of detergents. Doing so can lead to poor cleaning results or even damage your machine. Always follow the detergent manufacturer’s instructions for use.
How often should I clean my Whirlpool washing machine?
It’s recommended to clean your Whirlpool washing machine every 30 to 40 loads. Regular cleaning can enhance the machine’s performance and longevity.
Can I use powder detergent in the Load & Go™ Dispenser?
No, the Load & Go™ Dispenser is designed for use with liquid HE detergent only. Powder detergent should be added to the designated detergent compartment or directly to the drum.