Draining an LG front load washer is a task that may seem daunting at first, but with the right information and a little patience, it can be done smoothly and efficiently. This in-depth guide will walk you through the process step by step, providing examples, reference points, and additional resources to ensure you have all the information you need to drain your LG front load washer successfully.
To drain an LG front load washer, first, turn off the machine and unplug it. Then, locate the access panel at the lower front of the washer and open it. Place a shallow pan next to the panel, pull out the drain hose, and remove its plug to release excess water into the pan. Next, twist the drain filter counterclockwise to disconnect it from the chassis, clean it, and then reinsert it. Lastly, reinsert the drain hose, ensure it is properly attached to the washer, and close the access panel.
Initial Signs That Your LG Front Load Washer Needs Draining
Before you start the draining process, it’s essential to identify whether your washer indeed needs draining. Some common signs that indicate this need include:
- An OE error code displayed on the washer. This error code signifies that the washer is unable to drain the water used during the wash cycle, which could be due to a kinked drain hose or a clogged drain pump filter.
- A humming sound. This sound is produced when the drain pump motor is working.
- The washer isn’t draining during the cycle.
In case of such issues, you can follow the steps detailed below. However, if the problem persists, it’s advisable to consult a professional technician or contact LG support for further assistance.
The Necessary Tools and Materials
Draining an LG front load washer requires some specific tools and materials, which include:
- A bucket or large container to collect the water.
- A shallow pan that can be used to catch any water that might spill when the filter is opened.
- Rags or towels to clean up any spills.
- A Phillips screwdriver to remove screws if necessary.
The Draining Process
Here are the steps to safely and effectively drain your LG front load washer:
- Turn off the washing machine and unplug it from the power source.
- Locate the access panel at the lower front of the washer.
- Place a shallow pan or bowl next to the access panel to collect water.
- Open and remove the access panel by pulling the tab downward and out, revealing the drain hose and drain pump filter.
- Pull the drain hose out of its slot in the chassis enough to lay over the pan or bowl.
- Remove the plug at the end of the drain hose to release excess water into the pan or bowl.
- Twist the drain filter counterclockwise until it’s fully disconnected from the chassis.
- Remove the drain filter and clean it by removing any debris, lint, or lost items. You can use a soft-bristle brush or a damp cloth to clean the filter.
- Once the filter is clean, reinsert it into its slot and turn it clockwise until it stops.
- Reinsert the drain hose and ensure it is properly attached to the washer.
- Close the access panel.
Maintenance and Cleaning Post-Draining
For the longevity of your washer, it’s crucial to perform regular maintenance and cleaning after draining. Some tasks to consider include:
- Clean the drain hose: Disconnect and clear it of any blockages using a drain snake tool or a long, narrow brush. You can also run warm water and white vinegar through the hose to clear it of blockages.
- Check and clean the drain pump: Locate and access the drain pump, check for any blockages, and disconnect the hoses connected to it to ensure they aren’t clogged. Also, check that any filters or coin traps aren’t clogged and causing drainage issues.
- Run an empty hot water cycle: This helps flush out any remaining debris and clean the washer’s interior.
- Keep the washer balanced: Ensure that the washer is level and stable to prevent excessive vibrations and potential damage.
- Avoid overloading: Don’t wash too many clothes at once as it can strain the motor and cause drainage issues.
In conclusion, draining an LG front load washer is a straightforward process that requires a bit of time and the right tools. Regular maintenance and cleaning after draining can help ensure the longevity and optimal performance of your washer. If you encounter any issues during the process, don’t hesitate to seek professional help.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I drain my LG front load washer?
Typically, you should drain your LG front load washer every month or so, but it depends on the usage. If you use your washer heavily, you may need to drain it more frequently. Always refer to your user manual for specific instructions related to your model.
What does the OE error code mean?
The OE error code on an LG front load washer signifies that the washer is unable to drain the water used during the wash cycle. This could be due to a kinked drain hose or a clogged drain pump filter.
Can I use any type of vinegar to clean the drain hose?
It’s best to use white vinegar to clean the drain hose. It’s an excellent natural cleaner that can effectively remove soap residue and mineral deposits that may cause clogs.
What should I do if water continues to spill out even after I’ve drained my LG front load washer?
If water continues to spill out after draining, there may be a blockage further up the system. Ensure the drain hose is correctly installed and not kinked. If the problem persists, it’s advisable to consult a professional technician or contact LG support.
What do I do if I can’t remove the drain filter?
If the drain filter is stuck, it may be due to debris or a foreign object lodged in it. Try gently wiggling it while turning it counterclockwise. If it remains stuck, you should contact a professional technician or LG support to avoid damaging your washer.