Mod Podge is a versatile crafting product, serving as a glue, sealer, and varnish in one. It’s a staple in the crafting community, used for a myriad of projects. But, did you know there’s a specific type of Mod Podge that is dishwasher safe? In this article, we delve into the world of Mod Podge, focusing on its dishwasher-safe variant.
Yes, there is a variant of Mod Podge that is dishwasher safe. Known as Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge, this product is designed to withstand washing, making it ideal for crafting projects involving items like glass, ceramic, and metal that might need cleaning. However, it is important to note that it requires a full 28 days to cure before it can be washed in the dishwasher.
What is Modge Podge?
Mod Podge, often misspelled as “Modge Podge,” is a brand of adhesive, sealer, and finish used in craft projects, especially decoupage. Mod Podge is available in various finishes, from gloss, satin, and matte, to specialty finishes like antique matte, super gloss, sparkle, and outdoor.
Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge
Among the numerous types of Mod Podge, one stands out for its unique property – the Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge. As the name suggests, this formula is designed to withstand washing, making it ideal for projects involving glass, ceramic, and metal items that need cleaning.
The Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge dries clear and leaves a smooth finish, perfect for projects like decorating mugs or plates. It’s available in different sizes, such as 8-ounce and 16-ounce bottles, and can be purchased from retailers like Amazon, Michaels, Walmart, and Target.
Applying Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge
The application process of Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge is simple:
- Prepare the surface: Clean the surface with rubbing alcohol to remove any dirt or residue.
- Mix the Mod Podge: Roll the bottle on a table to mix the contents.
- Apply Mod Podge: Use a soft brush to apply the Mod Podge to the surface and the back of the design.
- Attach the design: Place the design onto the surface, smoothing out any air bubbles.
- Apply additional coats: Allow the first coat to dry for 1-2 hours, then apply additional coats as needed.
- Cure the project: Allow the project to cure for 28 days before washing it in the dishwasher.
While using Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge, it’s crucial to take certain precautions:
- Proper curing time: Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge requires a full 28 days to cure. Washing the item before this period may compromise the durability of the finish.
- Top-rack dishwasher safe: After curing, you can wash the item in the dishwasher, but only on the top rack.
- Avoid food contact: Mod Podge is not food-safe, so avoid applying it to areas where it might come in contact with food or the mouth.
Mod Podge is a fantastic tool for crafters, and its dishwasher-safe variant expands its versatility even further. Whether you’re decorating a coffee mug or a ceramic plate, Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge is your go-to product. Just remember to follow the instructions carefully, and you’ll be on your way to creating beautiful, durable, and washable craft projects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge on plastic or wood?
Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge is designed for glass, ceramic, and metal surfaces. It may not adhere as well to plastic or wood, and these materials are also not typically dishwasher safe.
Is there a faster way to cure Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge?
No, unfortunately, there is no shortcut to the curing process. The product requires a full 28 days to cure and become dishwasher safe.
Can I use other types of Mod Podge for dishwasher-safe projects?
No, only the Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge is designed to withstand washing in a dishwasher. Using other types may result in your project not being able to withstand the heat and water of the dishwasher.
Is Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge waterproof?
Yes, once fully cured, Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge is waterproof. However, it’s important to note that it’s only top-rack dishwasher safe and should not be soaked in water for extended periods.
Can I use Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge as a sealer?
Yes, Dishwasher Safe Mod Podge can be used as a sealer. It’s an excellent choice for sealing projects that will need to be washed in a dishwasher.