Like many machines, a washer can run into issues that cause it to become stuck. In these cases, the best action is to reset the machine and see if this fixes the issue.
As each washing machine brand is reset differently, you may not know how to reset your Admiral washing machine.
The reset method of your washing machine depends on your machine’s style. Admiral provides two types of washing machines:
You can also attempt to hard reset the machine by resetting the relevant breaker in your home.
Read for a step-by-step guide to resetting your Admiral washing machine and performing a hard reset.
Ways To Reset Your Admiral Washing Machine
How your model of washing machine resets will vary primarily by the type of washing machine.
Most top-loading Admiral units reset the same way. However, front-loading units reset in several ways and are distinct from top-loaders.
1. Reset a Front-Loading Washing Machine
You can reset most Admiral front-loading machines using the start button. However, some models require you to use a power button too.
You can try both to see which achieves the desired results or even do each method multiple times if you continue to experience problems.
Start Button Only
- Press and hold the Start/Pause button for 5-10 seconds.
- Once the display changes and begins blinking, let go.
- If the washer had water, the door might take a few minutes to unlock.
Start and Power Button
Some machines have a separate power button on the unit’s control panel. This usually requires both the start and power buttons to restart.
- Press the start button firmly for 5 seconds two times.
- Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
- Follow the instructions for the first time set up to turn the machine back on.
2. Reset a Top-Loading Washing Machine
There are three simple steps to reset a top-loading unit:
- First, shut the door if it is open.
- Next, pull the knob out until it clicks.
- Next, set the timer knob to the lowest possible time, and then push the timer knob in.
- Finally, wait for the machine to process and drain if it is full of water (this may take up to 30 minutes).
Once the machine is completely drained, it can be used normally, and you can select a new cycle.
Hard Resetting Your Washing Machine
If neither of these methods works, you can also try to perform a hard reset. This is done by removing power from the machine completely.
- Turn off the machine at the unit side (down with a power button/switch on either the control panel or the back of the unit).
- You will then need to find your breaker board and open it.
- Locate the breaker that powers your washing machine, and flip it to the off position.
- Wait for ten minutes to allow all power to leave the circuit.
- Press the power button on your washing machine several times (or flip the switch to the on position).
- Turn the breaker back on.
- Follow the setup instructions for a newly installed washing machine in your manual.
Resetting your washing machine is useful and should be your troubleshooting step. To reset a washing machine, you can first attempt a soft reset, which will involve pressing buttons.
A top-loading Admiral washing machine can be reset by closing the lid, pulling the timer knob out, rotating it to a short set, and then pushing it back in. Once the washer timer ends, and the water drains, it will reset for future use.
A front-loading Admiral washing machine can be reset quickly by pressing and holding the start button and (if applicable) the power button. Then, the machine will empty the water and reset.
To perform a hard reset, you will need to drain the circuit powering your washing machine off all residual power. This can be done by flipping the breaker and attempting to power the unit.
Leaving the breaker off for ten minutes ensures all residual power is gone. You can then restore power to the unit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will Resetting My Washing Machine Unlock the Door?
Yes, a reset should unlock the washer’s door. However, it may take several minutes to unlock as the machine has a sensor inside to prevent the door from unlocking while there is water.
The washer will drain when you reset it, and the door will unlock once the water is gone.
What Are the Error Codes for an Admiral Washing Machine?
If you keep getting an error code, even after performing a soft and hard reset, then you will need to decipher what error code is showing. This is a list of error codes on Admiral machines and what they mean.