The LOC on a Whirlpool washer indicates that the Control Lock feature has been activated. This safety feature is designed to prevent the washer from being accidentally started or the settings from being changed during a cycle. However, if you need to use your washer and the Control Lock is activated, you’ll need to deactivate it. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about deactivating the LOC on a Whirlpool washer.
To deactivate the LOC on a Whirlpool Washer, you need to locate the Control Lock button on your washer’s control panel. This button may be labeled as “Control Lock” or have a lock symbol icon. Press and hold this button for 3 seconds. The LOC or LC code should disappear, and the control panel should unlock. If this doesn’t work, try unplugging the washer or turning off the breaker for 1 minute, then power it back on and try again.
Understanding the LOC Feature
The LOC (or LC) symbol on a Whirlpool Washer indicates that the Control Lock feature has been activated. This feature is designed to prevent accidental button presses or changes to the settings during a wash cycle. When the control panel is locked, the buttons become unresponsive, and the washer cannot be operated until the lock is released.
Why Deactivate the LOC on a Whirlpool Washer?
There are several reasons why you might need to deactivate the LOC on your Whirlpool Washer:
- To operate the washer: When the Control Lock is enabled, the washer will not start, and users will not be able to change any settings or start a wash cycle.
- Prevent accidental operation: The Control Lock feature can be accidentally activated by pressing a button or a combination of buttons on the control panel. Knowing how to deactivate the Control Lock can help you avoid unnecessary interruptions to your laundry routine.
- Child safety: The Control Lock feature also acts as a child lock, preventing children from accidentally starting the washer or changing the settings.
How to Deactivate the LOC on a Whirlpool Washer
Follow these steps to deactivate the LOC on a Whirlpool Washer:
- Locate the Control Lock button: This button might be labeled as “Control Lock” or have a lock symbol icon. In some models, the Control Lock function is paired with another button like Extra Rinse, Steam, etc. Check your Owner’s Manual for the specific button for your model.
- Press and hold the Control Lock button: Hold the button (or the button with the lock symbol) for 3 seconds. The LOC or LC code should disappear, and the control panel should unlock.
- Power cycle the washer: If the above steps don’t work, try unplugging the washer or turning off the breaker for 1 minute. Then, power the washer back on and try again.
Troubleshooting Persistent LOC Issues
If you’re unable to deactivate the LOC after following the above steps, there are a few things you can try:
- Double-check the Control Lock button: Ensure you’re pressing the correct button to deactivate the Control Lock. The specific button may vary depending on your washer model.
- Reset the washer: Unplug the washer or turn off the breaker for at least 1 minute, then power it back on. This can reset the washer’s electronic components and may resolve the issue.
- Contact Whirlpool customer support: If the issue persists, it’s best to contact Whirlpool customer support or a professional technician for further assistance.
Activating the Control Lock
If you wish to activate the Control Lock on your Whirlpool washer, simply press and hold the designated Control Lock button for 3 seconds. The control lock icon on the display will light up when it is on.
The LOC on a Whirlpool washer is a safety feature designed to prevent unwanted operation of the machine. However, if you need to use your washer and the Control Lock is activated, knowing how to deactivate it is crucial. We hope this guide has been helpful in explaining how to deactivate the LOC on a Whirlpool washer. If you encounter any issues during the process, don’t hesitate to seek professional help.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can the Control Lock feature be activated on all Whirlpool washers?
Yes, the Control Lock feature is a standard safety feature on most modern Whirlpool washers. However, the method to activate or deactivate it may vary slightly depending on the model.
What does the Control Lock icon look like on the display?
On most Whirlpool washers, the Control Lock icon is represented by a lock symbol. When the Control Lock is activated, this icon will light up on the display.
Will the Control Lock deactivate itself after a certain period of time?
No, the Control Lock will stay activated until it is manually deactivated by the user.
Can I still open the washer door when the Control Lock is activated?
Yes, the Control Lock feature only locks the control panel, not the washer door. You can open the door even when the Control Lock is activated.
Is there any risk of damaging the washer if I keep trying to deactivate the Control Lock without success?
No, trying to deactivate the Control Lock will not damage the washer. However, if you’re unable to deactivate it, it’s recommended to contact Whirlpool customer support or a professional technician for assistance.